Lindsey nichols

All about my crazy life with two boys, two dogs and two gyms.

Baby #3

We’re crazy. We’re completely aware that our lives are already packed full and we’re adding another element. We’re completely okay with this.

I’ve always wanted 3 kids. No significance in 3 other than I just think it makes for a bigger family feel. It was no secret that I was pretty disappointed when I found out #2 was a boy. I went through literally half my pregnancy with Graham thinking it was a girl. So #3 for me was a chance at a girl. You ask me now and I would obviously say our family would not be the same without Graham. That little boy has all the Sullivan traits, down to my dad’s blue eyes and he has my whole heart. He’s all boy, but is sensitive and as funny as it is to say about a 1 year old he’s polite and kind. He and Dawson couldn’t be more opposite. I likely would have stopped with 2 kids if he had been a girl- and to think of all I would have missed is terrifying.

This spring we started talking about it and honestly I started having second thoughts. We’ve had quite the year. Graham was only 1 month old when we put the offer on the property we moved the gym to this year. I am not an entrepreneur and the thought of putting our complete savings into this project simply scared the crap out of me. To say that I’ve had to put complete trust in the Lord this year in all aspects of my life is an understatement. It’s been real scary and there were moments that I thought we were making the biggest mistake of our life. Now, looking back it all seems so small and silly but it really probably was the hardest year for us in our 6 years of marriage- juggling running the business, purchasing this property, dealing with the town (huge eye roll) and having a toddler and new born baby. So, when the spring rolled around, all was well with the move, etc we started discussing. I literally was just starting to feel back to normal- not breastfeeding, getting back to a normal routine and working out like my old self. There were many moments I thought 2 was it for me. Someone at the gym said- you have your entire life ahead of you to get back in shape. If you have wanted 3 kids you are going to regret not doing it later. That was it for me.

We found out we were expecting on Mother’s Day, May 14. We told our parents that day. I thought that was perfect- we told them we were expecting on that exact day 2 years ago. In their Mother’s Day cards we put a big number printed on a paper (10 for my mom, 12 for my mother-in-law). It signified the number grandchild it would be for them. My mother-in-law immediately got it and said nothing to let my mom figure it out. I had to tell her to go back to the sheet and she still didn’t get it. It was pretty hysterical. The next three weeks were pretty tough. I had daily bleeding every day for the first 3 weeks. It was enough that I went in several times for blood work and was put on progesterone for the first 11 weeks. We went in for a early sono at 5.5 weeks and were actually able to see a heartbeat. They said that was a positive thing. It was a real tough 3 weeks though- every time I worked out it seemed to make it worse. So, I basically wasn’t able to really do anything during that time which then made coming back even harder.

At 10 weeks we went back, really unsure if we would be able to hear anything. The doctor did find a real faint heartbeat. I went back last week (12.5 weeks) and the heartbeat was much more clear (173) and they drew my blood for the genetic testing. I just got that back yesterday and found out it’s a GIRL!

This entire time I’ve thought it was another boy. Aside from my face breaking out a LOT more, I’ve really had an identical pregnancy. A little sick, but nothing significant and weeks of real bad headaches. I also was having visions of having three boys and how cool that would be for them to grow up with all brothers. Dawson and Graham have the sweetest relationship so I thought that would be cool to add another.

Dave decided to call the dr yesterday at lunch. I was annoyed because they told me it would take 2 weeks to get the results and it hadn’t even been 1 week. He left a message and they called me back shortly after. I was embarrassed when I answered the phone and was apologizing when she Β said they actually already had them in. Then, said everything on the genetic test was great and that it was a girl. AH! Tons of thoughts flooded my mind: Obviously super thankful for a healthy baby, thrilled that it was a girl then a what in the world will I do with a girl, though?! LOL I am not girly and I have two boys that have no sort of girliness to them. She’s going to be one tough girl!

Dawson has been saying the entire time that it’s a boy- he calls it Baby Everett (that was one of the boy names we had picked out). So, I was pretty interested to see how he would react. We got a pinata and put candy in it. He pulled it open with my parents and mother in law and I don’t think he cared a bit about the color- he was so excited about the candy! LOL He has since figured out it means he will have a sister and he seems okay with it but he’s still young. I’m not sure that he will fully grasp what it even means until she is here and not leaving.

All this to say, we are super excited and super blessed and thankful. We know it’s going to be crazy. But, my life is already crazy and I survive and would have it no other way. We are due January 26- all birthday’s will be within a month of each other (Jan 4- Graham and Feb 5-Dawson).

My next appointment isn’t until mid-August and I’ll update more then. Here’s some pictures of our lives lately. πŸ™‚



February 2017

November 2016

The time changed. Whoever created that didn’t have small children. Morning 1 it was Graham who woke up at 5:45 am and morning 2 it was Dawson who woke up at 5:45. UGH. So, I have a few extra minutes this morning to update on our life!

Graham is 10 months old as of last week. He’s so fun! He took his first steps last week, but has been crawling since. He wouldn’t even do it again so that I could film it! He still only has 2 teeth. He’s been working on a third for awhile and it just won’t come through. He’s sleeping (other than this time change thing) from 8 pm to 7 am every night and he takes 2-3 naps a day (1 longer one in the morning and two shorter in the afternoon). I’m still breastfeeding and he’s eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. He figured out how to use a straw about two weeks ago and quickly realized that Dawson sometimes gets something other than water to drink (apple juice or lemonade). Uh oh. So, he’s always after Dawson’s cup. He is literally the sweetest thing. You can tell that he’s really sensitive to your feelings. He’s bitten me a few times and he just cries and cries and cries and if you tell him no he gets the fattest lip and gets so upset. He’s terrified of the vacuum- like shaking, screaming, everything. He’s also really into music. If he hears something he starts bobbing up and down and waving his arms. Dawson has never really been into dancing so it’s fun to see! πŸ™‚ It’s hard to believe he’ll be one in less than two months.

Dawson will be three in February. Lately he’s done so many big boy things. As of about 1.5 months ago he started wearing undies all the time other than bed. I think it was more than time. I had just been lazy about having him wear them out of the house. It’s really hard going to a public bathroom, holding Graham because he can’t stand on his own yet (and putting him on the bathroom floor is nasty), helping hold Dawson up to go and getting him dressed again. But, I decided it was time and he’s done awesome! He’s only had a few accidents and has even started making it through naps and night without wetting his diaper. He even made it to and from the deer lease (2 hour drive) in undies this weekend. So, we’re almost done with diapers for 1 kiddo! πŸ™‚ He’s really funny and can be so sweet, but man- he’s also at a really challenging age. He struggles to listen (what kid doesn’t, right?!) and doesn’t really seem phased by discipline or incentives. So that can be really frustrating.

This fall we’ve spent some weekends up at the deer lease. Dawson loves it there- helping Daddy work and riding the 4-wheeler. He loves kicking and laying in the dirt and constantly is in the fire. Graham is a little too young to enjoy it since he isn’t walking. We spend much of our time inside since there’s no concrete or anything for him to crawl around on. We also took a trip to Abilene. Dave spoke at a conference there so the boys and I tagged along. That trip went really well! The boys never nap or sleep normal in a new place so I was pretty worried that the whole thing would be awful, but they did really good at night! The drive wasn’t too bad either (3 hours). We only had one incident where I think Dawson got carsick and threw up all over himself. Thank goodness it was in Grapevine on the way home and we had wipes and a change of clothes, etc! πŸ˜‰ This weekend we are heading to San Antonio for the Notre Dame/Army game. My parents are coming along to watch the boys. My grandparents also live there- so they’ll spend some time with them. I’m excited to go to the game, but also to see my grandparents. They haven’t met Graham yet, and haven’t seen Dawson since he was about Graham’s age. My grandpa is in a nursing home and I think it’s so special to get some pictures of them that they can have forever.

My workouts have been going well. Time is still obviously a struggle, as I think that’s my future with kids. But, I’m able to get in a solid 4 days and then if we are in town I can usually get something in on Friday as well. I’m down 5lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight which is probably the lowest weight I’ve been since 2012 or maybe earlier. I usually sit at 150 and have for a very long time. I think the 145 is totally based on that I’m not as strong. I don’t LOOK 5 lbs lighter and I’m certainly not as strong as I was at 150. But, I’ve been happy with my consistency lately and my body has stayed really healthy and pain-free so I can’t complain about that right?! No huge PRs lately, although we have been doing pull-ups pretty much every day for the last 9 weeks and I know my strict number has increased. We test this week. I’ve also been able to do 8-10 chest to bars without coming off the bar, which is a big deal for me. I’ve always sucked at chest to bars. So, that’s definitely improved- just don’t know how much quite yet! πŸ™‚



August 2016 Update

It’s been over a month. I’ve been meaning to sit down and write something for a week or so now, but man- life has been crazy. We have been busy with the back to school schedules and getting back into a routine there. My schedule changes a little from the summer to the school year and so do the kids so it takes a few weeks to get it down.

The boys are doing great and both are in a really fun stage right now. There are small little moments where they will occasionally play with each other. Their version of playing is just sitting next to each other playing with the same toys, but it is the sweetest thing to see. Then, they also have their moments of Dawson pushing Graham over or ‘patting’ him, which is really hitting. We have more of these moments than we do the sweet moments. But, I have a feeling it will only get more interesting once Graham can dish it back. Dawson is always concerned about where Graham is and what he’s doing- especially when he is getting some one else’s attention.Β Dawson still calls Graham ‘MY baby’. In the car Graham stares over at Dawson for the entire ride. Dawson will make these cackling noises and Graham just cracks up! It’s hilarious!

Dawson is quite the big boy lately. He started back at his school 2 weeks ago and has made drastic improvements on potty training. At home he rarely has accidents and has finally begun going on his own without my reminders. When we are out and about he seems to be too busy to think about it. He’ll occasionally say he needs to go, but usually not. He’s been struggling to get back in the swing of school. The first week was great and the second week.. not so much. Full on screaming fits as soon as we’d pull into the parking lot. I know he’s fine once he’s in the class and I’m out of sight, but UGH I hate leaving him like that. Dawson’s always been a paci-lover. Like would have a paci at all seconds of the day if I’d allow it. We have only allowed him to have it in the car and when he sleeps, but we cut out the car a few weeks ago. He doesn’t even ask about it anymore. Our next adventure will be to cut it all together. I have a feeling that’s going to be a hard process since there are still pacis around the house because of Graham. I wouldn’t be so worried about it if he wasn’t so dependent on it. He often throws screaming fits when you take it away from him after a nap or in the morning and I’m so over that. So, I’m trying to figure out a clever way to be finished with the paci that may make his transition a bit easier.

Graham is about to be 8 months old a week from Sunday. I can’t believe how fast time has gone. I swear time was slower when I just had Dawson! He’s doing so well! He just got his second tooth last weekend. That was a hard few days of broken sleep and very little eating. But, it’s broken through so we are in the clear for a few weeks, at least! He’s been crawling for about 2.5 months now so he’s completely mastered that and pulling up. We are currently working on trying to eat some soft solids. He gags every time he puts anything in his mouth. I’ve tried bananas, peas, those soft melty fruit baby snacks and a granola bar. He’s gagged with all of them. So, I’m just continuing to put things in front of him. He’ll get the hang of it sooner or later! πŸ˜‰ He loves drinking water from his cup, but he’s still only drinking like 5 oz of milk at a time! I have no idea how he’s as big as he is! Dawson was eating a lot more than that at this point. We have moved his bed-time routine (milk and jammies) up to 8:45 pm! That’s huge!! It was 10:00 pm so this has allowed us to be in bed right at 10:00 rather than 11:00! That extra hour is heavenly when we wake up at 4:00 am! So, he’s sleeping from basically 9:15 pm-7:00 am. He’s not super vocal- he makes some noises, but he’s super observant. His overall personality is the sweetest thing- he just watches, smiles and is pretty quiet. He rarely cries. Most mornings at 7:00 I walk in his room and he’s just sitting in his bed without making a sound. He’s already in some of the 9-12 month clothes, which is crazy because Dawson fit into those last summer (when he was 18 months old). It’s really crazy to see him in stuff that I feel like Dawson just wore.

Workouts have been okay. I still just haven’t had enough time to do what I’d love to do. Most days (four days/week) I really only dedicate 45 minutes to something. I could spend more time on some days, but I choose to work or spend time with the boys instead. I guess I’m just in this season of life where that is more important to me. I say that I care about getting some of my harder skills back (muscle-ups, better handstand push-ups, etc) back, but I really don’t dedicate the time to get those. So, at the end of the day I guess it’s just not important enough to me. We’ve been eating pretty good lately, which is good! Having two kiddos as small as they are can be a challenge at times if things aren’t prepared. But, I’ve been doing a lot better about cooking at home. πŸ™‚

I do have some updated numbers since I posted last time in May:
Clean and Jerk: 170 175
Clean: 175Β 185
Push Press: 140 150 x 2
Front Squat: 200Β 215
Strict Pull-ups: 7 9
Unbroken Toes to Bar: 12 20

September is a busy month for us- a few gym events and David’s birthday are all this coming month! I’ll also be heading to Houston for a weekend to watch my niece in a gymnastics meet! I’m pretty excited about that because I’ve never been able to go watch her! So, it’s going to a busy month. I’ll update when I can!

July 2016 Update

Two months have flown by since the last time I posted. We’ve been working like crazy this summer with sports training, our normal adult classes and a few other projects.

Graham just had his 6 month check-up this afternoon and he’s doing awesome! He is 18lb, 1oz (61%) and 26.75 in (56%). He’s been eating sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, peas, bananas, apples, pears and peaches. He doesn’t seem to have a favorite, but has liked everything he’s tried. He eats solids twice a day and still BF seven times during the day. His last feeding is at 10:00 pm and his first feeding is at 7:00 am. He’s pretty much sleeping from his last to his first feeding, other than an occasional cry for a paci. So, we’ve come a long way in that regard. He’s even putting himself to sleep, which I’m not sure that Dawson did until he was much older.

He is crawling a little. He will do it when he really wants something. He can get from his belly to a sitting position and holds that pretty well without assistance. He’s even getting into a bear crawl position with his feet flat on the floor! So, we’re not far away from a full on mover. He’s ALWAYS happy. I thought Dawson was a happy, chill baby but Graham has proven that it can be even better. There are many days that I’ll go in his room at 7 am and he’s just laying there looking at the ceiling and he’ll see me and just smile.

This summer we have Jessie coming over to the house in the morning Monday through Thursday. She keeps the boys for us while we work. Dawson really loves not leaving the house and being able to play most of the day here at home. It’s also been awesome to not stress about getting the boys up, dressed and ready for the day along with myself. I’ve enjoyed that! πŸ™‚ But, they will start back at their school in about a month and a half.

Dawson has been doing awesome this summer. He’s CRAZY and full of energy. He takes after his daddy in more ways than one. πŸ˜‰ He took swim lessons a few weeks ago with Carly. The one time I went and watched he whined for the majority of the 30 minutes.. but it really has helped him! When we go swimming with him he actually does the things that she taught him. He really enjoyed going to that. He’s pretty much mastered the ABCs, counting to 20 and spelling his name. He’s also surprised us with learning almost all the words to 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmond. He won’t sing it for you when you ask, but you can hear him singing in his bed or randomly while he plays with his toys. We’re still working on potty training. When we’re here at the house he does really well, but when we’re in public he doesn’t do so great. We went to his first movie last week with Lindsey and Harper. We saw Finding Dory at the Moviehouse Eatery. I was really nervous because I had both Dawson and Graham and David was gone. But, as soon as the lights went out Graham fell asleep and Dawson did awesome. He only made a few loud comments during quiet times and overall it was a great experience. After the movie he didn’t act like he loved it, but he talks about Nemo and Dory multiple times a day now. So, I think he enjoyed it more than he acted like.

We aren’t really traveling this summer. We went to Austin two weeks ago for Youth Nationals in Weightlifting. Dave was coaching three lifters there. It was pretty much a nightmare in terms of sleep. LOL The four of us were all in one room and Graham wouldn’t sleep in the pack-n-play. So, we got very little sleep. We were all very anxious to get home to our own beds and more importantly separate rooms! πŸ™‚ We decided then that we would not be traveling anywhere until Graham was able to sleep well in a pack-n-play.

Workouts have been going okay. With my schedule right now I don’t really have much more than 45 minutes to warm-up and get a full workout in. So, it’s definitely more condensed than I would prefer. No great PRs lately or anything either. But, I’m consistently getting in 4 days/week and I think that’s a win! πŸ™‚ Dave and I have cleaned up our diet quite a bit and I hit my pre-pregnancy weight last week. So, that was exciting. The 150 looks different than it did before. But, I’m happy to be back to that number none-the-less. Eating clean has helped with my energy, motivation to workout and overall attitude so I’m happy that we straightened it all back out.

Below we’ve got Graham’s 5 and 6 month pictures, some July 4th shots from Lone Star Park (where we got to watch the horse races and fireworks and Dawson got to ride a pony for the first time), Father’s Day at Mi Cocina, one of Dawson’s time-outs after he colored all over himself and my desk chair with a marker, a very special day when a tractor was parked right outside our house and Dawson got to look at it for almost an hour, our first movie experience with Lindsey and Harper, our photo shoot for Daddy’s Father’s Day gift and a picture from Mother’s Day at Verfs! πŸ™‚ It’s been an awesome few months!

May Break Through

Hey all! It’s been awhile! That’s life with 2 kids while trying to run a business. The 2 kids is job enough.

Since the beginning I’ve said that Graham is actually an awesome sleeper- he just won’t sleep more than 3 hours at a time. He’s never seemed to have his days and nights mixed up. He would sleep at night, but literally every 3 hours almost on the dot he would wake up. We have tried it all. Up until 2 weeks ago he was still swaddled, sleeping in a vibrating bassinet and some times co-sleeping as well. It was pretty much a nightmare. He would go down at 10:30 and wake up at 1:00, 4:00 and then kick around pretty restless from 5:00-7:00. So, needless to say, I wasn’t getting much sleep. At his 4 month check-up the dr suggested we start slowly taking away some of those sleep aids and let him cry. So, we took off the swaddle and stopped letting the bassinet vibrate. We did that for a week. The first night I think I got out of bed like 12 times. Β I saw improvement with the amount of time he would cry throughout the week, but he was still waking up every 3 hours. Last Sunday night I looked in the monitor and he had rolled from his back to his belly in the bassinet so that pretty much ruled that sleep aid out as well. So, back to square one last Sunday- crying all night because he went from a cozy bassinet to his flat crib. But, by Wednesday night he was only waking up at 3:00 to eat and then he woke up at 6:00. Each night since he’s woken up a little later and a little later. This morning I woke HIM up at 7:00! So, we’re not completely sleeping through the night because of the feeding at 3:00, but it’s a HUGE improvement. I’ve been saying some serious prayers about this because it’s been taking a toll on our family, so I’m really thankful that maybe he’s getting it?

Our last dr appointment went well! Graham was 15lb, 15oz. Dawson was this exact same weight at 6 months! πŸ™‚ So, he’s a bit chunkier than his brother. We have given him a taste of avocado and sweet potato. He’s not so sure about either. We don’t really do any kind of rice cereal- so we’ll just kinda start transitioning him to food when we feel like he’s really ready. At this point, I don’t think he’s quite ready. Graham LOVES standing up- his legs are CRAZY. He kicks them SO fast. He’s also started grabbing at toys and he grabs at his paci all the time. He just hasn’t quite learned how to open his hand to let go. So, he’ll grab his paci and take it to his mouth, but then can’t let it go and he gets frustrated! LOL

Dawson has been doing well. He LOVES his little brother. Any time anyone is giving Graham attention he says ‘MY baby’. He loves to give hugs and kisses and lately he’s been trying to move Graham. So, I definitely can’t leave them in a room alone. He just finished up his school year and will be staying Β home with a sitter this summer. We decided on this to make our mornings a bit easier and less hectic with all of the sports training we do in the early morning. Lately, Dawson is REALLY into tractors, especially excavators (yes, he knows the difference and he’ll make sure you know as well). He also LOVES the garbage truck. Every Monday he wants to go outside when he hears it to wave at them! Really any kind of truck, tractor, train, etc he loves. We went to a trampoline park on Friday and he loved that. We went back in February to a smaller place and he had a great time, so we took him to a bigger place and actually jumped with him and he had the best time! One hour of that wears him out! One of my favorite things about him right now is how fast he’s learning certain things… like he loves music and has learned quite a few songs. He can sing most of his ABCs, Row Row Row your Boat, Jingle Bells and he loves the song 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmond. He’s pointing out tons of letters too- on street signs, t-shirts, etc. Some of his favorites, and how he points them out are: D- Dawson, P- Pop (my dad), T-Tucker, O- Ostrich, M- Mommy, N- Nana (my mom). He knows most of the letters and some words that start with them, but he only points certain ones out without being prompted.

Workouts have been going well. I finished up my lifting cycle about 2 weeks ago. I finished out with some good numbers. Obviously, not lifetime PRs, but that’s going to take me some time to get back to. I’m back to doing CrossFit workouts. My conditioning has definitely taken a hit and I feel like I’m going to pass out or throw up during most workouts.. but it’s fun, right? I’m about 2-3 lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight. My goal isn’t necessarily getting back to that weight, but instead having my stomach and overall body looking the same…. and we’re still a bit away from that! πŸ˜‰

Here’s some of my new lifting numbers:
Back Squat: 245
Clean and Jerk: 170
Clean: 175
Snatch: 120
Push Press: 140
Overhead Squat: 135
Front Squat: 200


March Update

It’s somehow been two months already. It’s flown by, but at the same time drug along. Sweet little Graham Β has been such a great addition to our family and we are all so in love with him, but we’ve had a pretty hard couple of weeks.

Graham has had a hard few weeks. About three weeks ago he got thrush, which is a nasty little thing. It passes back and forth between breastfeeding mom and baby. We dealt with it with Dawson, but I honestly had no idea we had it because the symptoms were so minor. With Graham it was quite a bit different- he wouldn’t latch onto anything without LOTS of tears. It was also pretty painful for me. So, we got some medicine for that. Just as that was clearing up Dawson got sick and passed it around it to all of us. :/ Dawson and Dave tested negative for the flu, I felt more like mine was allergies more than anything else and then sweet Graham got it. He also tested negative for it- the doctor said she thought it was probably bronchitis. It was terrible. He couldn’t breathe well enough to eat and anytime he would lay down to sleep he would wake up with so much junk in his nose that he just sounded awful. So, between those two things we got very little sleep for a good two weeks.

He’s on the tail-end of everything. He’s sounding a lot better, but the cough is just lingering around. Overall though, Graham is definitely not as good of a sleeper as Dawson was at this point. On a good night Graham wakes up only 2 times a night. That’s a good night. Dawson was only waking up once at this point and in another month Dawson was sleeping through the night. So, that’s been frustrating to say the least. Not only are we already MORE exhausted because we have a two year old to chase around, but our infant is also not sleeping more than 3 hours at a time. With that being said, he also weighs a full pound more than Dawson did at 2 months old. At his check up on Monday he was 12 lb, 10 oz. A normal night looks like: feeding at 9:00 pm, PJS and rock to sleep, feed around 12:00-12:30 am, feed around 3:00-4:00 am and wake up at 6:00 am. What makes this schedule terrible is that he has usually 1-2 wake ups between the feedings where he just wakes up crying. You rock him and he goes back to sleep, but then he’ll just wake up again a few minutes later crying again. So, Dave and I are both anxiously awaiting the night that he just ‘gets it’.

He also has about an hour every afternoon/evening that he just cries. Like screams. I have tried everything. Feed him. Change him. Rock him. Sing to him. Give him a paci. Put him in the swing. Put him on the floor. Turn on white noise. UGH. I really think that he’s just exhausted and can’t settle himself because after screaming for a long time he’ll just randomly calm down and be OUT. But, for that hour we are all about going crazy. Even Dawson says ‘Calm down Graham’ a bunch when he cries. I can’t even begin to imagine if he had colic and how people deal with that. It sounds just miserable.

I’m completely back to working out, but I haven’t completely gone back to CrossFit. For the past four weeks I’ve just been doing lifting. If you’ve followed me for awhile or know me well enough you know that’s really my favorite part of CrossFit anyway. Being pregnant twice in under two years obviously led to me loosing quite a bit of strength so I wanted to spend some time focusing on that. My numbers are definitely not where they used to be, but they’re increasing and I’m having fun doing it! My squat snatch is back up to 115 and my clean and jerk is 165. I’m going to do this for at least another 4 weeks and then I’ll reevaluate where I am and decide what I want to do from there. I do 2 conditioning workouts a week, so obviously I’m struggling during the Open workouts. My breathing has definitely taken a hit. πŸ™‚

Next week Graham will go to school for the first time. I think it’s a second kid kinda thing… but I’m ready and excited. I am SO ready to be back in my normal work routine and I think it’s really good and healthy for me to have time away from him and him time away from me for a little while. He will go the same time as Dawson four days a week. It’ll obviously be hard to hand over some control of his care and not be the sole person to be with him every moment of the day, but it’s such a good feeling to know that I’ll be able to actually get something done every day! πŸ™‚

That’s about all the time I have to update you guys. Today I’m going to get Graham tattooed on my other wrist. Should be a fun time! πŸ˜‰

February Update

I wrote this back at the beginning of February but never posted because I wanted to add pictures, oops!

Well, we’ve survived a month being a family of four. It’s been hard. Real, real hard at times. But, we’ve done it. The hardest part has honestly been entertaining Dawson. He just turned two on Friday. He’s not quite at an age that he’s happy playing by himself and he doesn’t really like watching a whole lot of TV. So, that has been the most challenging thing. When I’m nursing for 30-45 minutes every three hours it’s hard to get him to stay focused on one thing for that long. He’s quickly realized that this is a great opportunity to do everything that he’s not suppose to do because unless I get up from nursing he can get away with more. So, he’s definitely acted out more this month. He’s been more naughty at school being aggressive with other kids, etc. So, that’s been Β challenge. But, it’s also been really good for him. He’s learned to play independently a lot more than he would have before and I think that’s an awesome skill. He loves having Graham around. For the most part he’s really sweet to him- kisses him and ‘pets’ him. But, I do have to watch him because he just doesn’t understand what being gentle really means.

Graham has been a really awesome baby. He’s super chill and is really happy just about all day. He sleeps way more than Dawson did at this point. BUT, he’s quite the chunk compared to Dawson and he never comes close to being late on a meal. So, at night I feed him at 9 and then he’s awake every single night between 12:00 and 12:05 and then again at 3:00-3:05. That’s IF he even makes it the 3 hours. Often it’s only 2.5 before he’s ready to eat again. The nice thing is that he normally goes right back to sleep. The full process of feeding him, changing him and getting him back in bed is almost a full hour. So, by the time I feed him and then lay back down and fall asleep myself I get probably 1.5 hours of sleep between feeds… and his feeds are 9:00, 12:00, 3:00 and then he usually only makes it to 5:30 and he’s awake for the morning. So I get about 4-5 hours on average a night of sleep. It’s rough. I was the girl who slept 8-9 hours straight every single night before and I feel like I really needed that to function well. So, it’s definitely been hard on me especially because I’m not able to just nap whenever like I was with Dawson. Since he’s here most of the day I have to be up with him.

Dave has been a great help. He teaches at 5:00 am at least 3 days a week, so I try to let him get uninterrupted sleep (he still wakes up from the crying I’m sure) on those nights. But, every weekend he wakes up and gives Graham a bottle while I pump. That cuts my time almost in half. He has also taken both boys several mornings and let me get some uninterrupted sleep which has been awesome! My parents have also done the same. It’s awesome what a few hours of not worrying about anyone else can do! πŸ™‚

This week was my birthday (on Tuesday) and Dawson’s birthday (on Friday). On Tuesday we had some fun meals- we went to the Table for dinner which was awesome! And we celebrated with my family at Barley and Board on Sunday. Those were two great restaurants!

Graham is here!

I wanted to make sure I updated this before I forget everything… AND both boys are asleep. πŸ™‚ Life has quickly changed for us in the Nichols house. I think this is an obvious statement… but having 2 kids is a LOT harder than having 1.

Last weekend Dave came home from hunting on Saturday. We spent the rest of the weekend as a family. Sunday I did some last minute work things and got my last workout in before baby Graham. It was pretty nice outside on Sunday so we took Dawson to the park with some friends and then had home-made pizzas as our last meal as a family of 3. Dawson loves helping make it so I thought this would be a fun thing for us before his life was flipped upside down. I read him books and sang to him, like we do every night. Did a bit of crying. I was so excited and so ready, but the emotions of everything got the best of me. Knowing that it would never be just me and him anymore, etc. Knowing that he wouldn’t get as much attention. It was bittersweet.

I actually slept awesome on Sunday night considering. I woke up at 4:15 to get ready. Having an induction is nice because you can fix your hair, make-up etc knowing that you’ll be in pictures later! πŸ™‚ I checked myself into the hospital at 5:00. I left Dave and Dawson at home to sleep in. I knew nothing exciting would happen until the doctor got there and I knew that wouldn’t be until at least 8 (ended up being 9:30). I didn’t see any reason for Dawson to stay somewhere else and rush to get to daycare. So, Dave let him sleep in and then took him to school around 8:30.

When I checked in at 5:00 am they got my all set up on IVs etc and then I spent the next few hours emailing clients. At 5:30 am I was at 3cm and 80% effaced, which was essentially what I was the week before. They started me on pitocin at 6:30 am. My contractions at that point were like 6 minutes apart. She said I had been having really subtle contractions on my own without the medicine, but I couldn’t feel any of them. By 9:00 am I was having contractions that I could actually feel that were about 3 minutes apart and at 9:30 am the doctor got there, broke my water and said that I was at 5cm. I got my epidural around 10:30 am and at 12:00 pm the doctor came back. I was at 10cm and 100% effaced. He had me push twice just to see what would happen and Graham’s heart rate dropped a lot. The room got a little more stressed than I’d seen it with Dawson or this time around, which was a little scary. They put me on oxygen, which they had done with Dawson- so that wasn’t new. They tried changing how I was laying, etc to calm Graham down. At 12:30 they came back and said it was time and at 12:55 pm Graham made his debut! The cord was wrapped around his neck and ankle, which explains the heart rate issue. He came out not breathing. That was super scary to not hear any crying for what felt like forever. I’m sure it couldn’t have been more than 30 seconds. But, he did have blue/purple skin around his nose and mouth for the first day or so because of the lack of oxygen. But, I was able to deliver naturally which I’m super thankful for. I can’t imagine having a c-section and then coming home to my crazy toddler who wants me to run and pick him up and wrestle, etc.

The first few hours after were awesome. They were super busy in labor and delivery so we stayed in that room for a few hours. It seemed like it was way shorter with Dawson and then as soon as we moved to the regular room I immediately had visitors. This time around I was able to snuggle and hold him for a long time. The hospital stay was really actually great! I was able to shower almost immediately when we got to our room and overall recovery has just been a whole lot easier this time around. I’m super thankful for that.

My parents kept Dawson during our hospital stay. They were awesome. They brought him up there that night and he immediately ran right to the bed and wanted to climb up. He sat down and wanted to give the baby hugs and ‘pets’ and kisses. Our friend, Kelly, came up to visit and was holding Graham and he went over to her and said ‘No, baby down. MY baby.’ So that gave me a really happy to hear him excited about it. Since bringing Graham home he’s been really sweet. He still wants to sit with him and occasionally hold him. But, he’s also had some jealous moments of ‘No Dada, Baby down.’ when he wants Dada to JUST hold him. He’s been super goofy and it real loud when we have guests over too. We don’t know if that’s just how he’s always been and now we notice it more because he’s SO loud or if he’s acting out and showing off to get some attention. But, it’s really hilarious. Tonight he was singing an unknown tune and dancing around the kitchen while a friend was over.

I’ve tried to do things JUST with Dawson. Yesterday he went to the grocery shopping with me which took about 1.5 hours. So, that was some really good quality time. He seemed to enjoy it. Anytime one of us has gotten out we take him so he can get out of the house for a bit. My parents also took just him to Ihop on Friday night, which he is still talking about. So, we’re trying to still make things about him so he doesn’t feel left out. He will be going to school on MWF mornings, so that will give him some structure and time away from Graham for a few hours a few days a week. That will be really good for all of us! πŸ™‚

Graham has been a much better sleeper than Dawson was. But, he’s obviously still an infant. He feeds about 2-3 times a night and the last few nights has been wide awake for a few hours when everyone else is sleeping. That part drives me more crazy than having to wake up with him several times. But, it’s only temporary and I know I’ll miss this itty bitty stage. So, I’m trying to soak in every moment that I can. Dawson seemed like a baby to me this time last Sunday. He was my little baby. Now, he seems huge. I pick him up now and wonder how I carried him around at 40 weeks pregnant. He seems like he grew up overnight.

Oh, if I could freeze time, I would. Until next time.

Below Pictures:
39 week picture and a side by side of the night before giving birth- Dawson’s is on the left and Graham’s is on the right. Top right picture is Graham’s first debut picture! Middle right picture is in the hospital. He loves to curl up in a ball on my chest. Bottom picture, second to left is Dawson and Graham side by side on their first night. You can definitely tell they are brothers! πŸ™‚


Blog at

Up ↑